The Broom Center's Social Demography Lab is fully equipped with the latest software, hardware, and coffee, and has a graduate student lab manager to provide affiliated students and the greater UCSB social science community with statistical, database management, and other technical advice.
The lab is a fun and productive atmosphere for UCSB graduate students working on demography-related research topics. We hope this collaborative research space will spark some interdisciplinary research conversations and project ideas.
LOCATION: North Hall 1053
- ArcGIS 10.5
- ATLAS.ti 7.5
- Java 8 144
- MATLAB R2017b
- Microsoft Office 2016
- MiKTeX 2.9
- OpenGeoDa 1.12
- R 3.4
- R Studio 1.1
- SAS 9.4
- Sophos 10.6
- SPSS 24
- Stata 15 (MP 64 bit version)
- Stat Transfer 11 (64 bit version)
- WinEDT 10
- 5 PC Workstations with 64-bit Windows 7, 16 GB of RAM, Intel Core i7 processors, and 24 inch monitors!
- Conference Table with PC and Mac-ready Plug-and-Play connection to a 60" 1080p LED Digital Monitor!
(feel free to contact the lab manager with any questions about the software or hardware available)
- Many varieties of coffee and tea!
Sophia Arabadjis is a PhD candidate in the Department of Geography, Population Health in Geography (PHiG) lab and recently completed her Master's in Statistics and Data Science. With a focus on applied statistical methods, she researches how health and disease attainment vary by cumulative environmental and social exposures, including wildfire evacuation orders, pandemic restrictions, and neighborhood/activity space. Sophia uses a host of different data sources including electronic medical record data, person-generated health data from wearable technologies, and surveys in her research. Her statistical methods include hazard models for risk assessment, statistical machine learning methods, microsimulation, and methods for modeling correlated activity data.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Software Expertise: R, ArcGIS, QGIS, Python, Latex
- Office Hours: Please email to schedule appointment
BROOM CENTER OFFICE CALENDARS:
Long-Term Visitors Office (NH 1050)
Broom Administrator Office (NH 1054)